August 2, 2011

A Good Reason to Get in the Car

Roadtrip Pita Chips


I'm writing this as I wait for my ride down to the eastern shore of Virginia. I am headed to Machipongo, VA, or, more specifically, to my boyfriend John's, mother's home, the Green Valley Farm Bed & Breakfast, (actually for sale too, if anyone is interested) a special spot I have sadly only passed, but now get the chance to explore for the weekend. (More on the B&B soon.)

For the 4-hour trip down I quickly made some snacky roadtrip food. This is something I think I first threw together while living in Hoboken, NJ, when my roommate and I had friends over to enjoy our quaint, private backyard.

Knowing I had no chips or quick bites on hand, this appetizer came about as it was the first thing I saw in the bread basket and knowing my well-stocked spice cabinet would come in handy. I laugh becuase I use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning on these cut-up pita chips, yet, I don't think I have actually used it ever on fish! I happened to read an article one time where this seasoning was used, found and bought it, and it has become my magical pita chip seasoning ever since.

These are not only great in a pinch, but clearly offer peace of mind for the mindful. The pita, oil and seasoning are fresh; the chips have not been sitting in their additives and preservatives to maintain shelf-life in the supermarket for weeks or months on end, and you control the amounts of oil and seasoning to use. Be liberal and generous or let the pita soak in minimal amounts of both before putting in the oven. Either way, you've got a tasty treat worthy of a roadtrip!

Roadtrip Pita Chips

*1 Bag white or whole wheat pita bread, large size
*extra virgin olive oil
*Chef Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic seasoning

Preheat oven to 425º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cut the pita bread in half, in half again, and then begin to cut in 1 inch triangles, squares, or the shape of your choice. Mine turn out to be isosceles triangles, parallelograms, shapes that have no names, it really doesn't matter.

Drizzle the oil evenly over the pita bread, using your hands or tongs to evenly coat the bread. Generously pour or gently sprinkle the seasoning (or the seasonings of your choice) all over the bread. Mix again with your hands or tongs to evenly coat and put in the oven for 6 1/2 to 7 minutes.

Let the pita chips cool completely before bagging them up or containing them, to prevent them from becoming soggy.

Drive safely while munching and snacking!

No comments: